We’ve all seen slot machines in pubs and in bookies but some people decide that these mechanical giants are the sort of thing that deserve a space in their homes. Collecting slot machines can be an interesting and rewarding hobby, so we’ve put together a handy guide for anyone looking to find out more.
The First Steps
If you want to spend money on a slot machine to start your collection, then you’ll want to make sure it’s the right one for you. Depending on your budget and how much space you have available, this could make your ideal slot machine very different to another collector’s.
Think about how much time you want to commit to the hobby, if you’re looking for something that you can do at your leisure then it may not be for you. Finding and buying these machines takes extensive research and you might even need to travel to see your next prospective buy.
Reading up is an essential of just about any hobby and there’s a thriving online community of these collectors. You can watch their videos, chat about the latest addition to your collection and even ask for advice.
Do’s and Don’ts
If you’re ready to swoop in and purchase a slot machine for your collection, then be sure to follow these do’s and don’ts:
- Do take someone with you to see the machine, preferably someone with a bit of experience.
- Do ask for pictures of the machine first and cross reference them with tell-tale signs of replicas.
- Do check with the Antique Slot Machine Pricing Guide for a fair offer.
- Don’t feel pressured to buy a slot machine, you can always take time to clear your head and come back later.
- Don’t worry if you feel like you’ve missed out on a purchase, many machines are bought and sold many times.
With all of that knowledge, you’re ready to scout around and start off your own collection!